sábado, 12 de enero de 2019

INTRODUCTION



"Britain's a funny place," I said.
"What do you mean, funny?" Mark asked.
I was sitting at a table on the terrace of a bar in Madrid with my friend Mark, who's from England. We were both drinking cold drinks and eating tapas and talking about countries.  "Well, it's ... different," I said. "There are so many contrast and contradiction as about Britain. The people, for example. Sometimes they're cold and distant.
When they sit on buses or trains, especially on the Tube*, they don't usually look at anybody and nobody talks. But they like travelling to different countries and meeting different people. Another thing is their appearance. I've seen lots of young people with red or blue hair and some of their clothes are, well, strange!" "You're generalising," said Mark. "Not all British people are reserved and not all young British people have red or blue hair. And are you talking about the British or are you talking about the English?
Because we're not all English, you know. It's called Britain for a reason. It includes the Scots and the Welsh as well." "Yes, I know, and I know that I'm generalising. But I've seen some strange things in Scotland and Wales as well," I explained. "Antonio, what are you trying to say?" Mark asked with a smile. "I'm trying to say that I think Britain is a fascinating place. I think the English, the Scots and the Welsh are fascinating people and that Britain has a wonderful culture and history. Every time I go there, something surprises me." "Well, you said you wanted to be a writer. Perhaps you should write about Britain," laughed Mark. "Yes, perhaps I should. That's quite a good idea, "I answered. My name's Antonio and I'm Spanish, but my father is American and we spent a long time in the United States when I was young. I've just finished university.
I studied English and journalism in Salamanca. Salamanca University is probably the most popular Spanish university [1]among foreign students. Sometimes there were so many people from Britain around me that I [2]almost forgot that I was in Spain. I made some good British friends who were studying in Salamanca and I love going to visit them in Britain. So, when Mark said I should write about my experiences, I did.
I wrote about my first impressions, the country, the people, the culture, the food and, of course, the weather! Here's the book - I hope you enjoy it.


Summary:
Antonio (the author) is talking with Mark who is an English man. The conversation is about Britain. Mark thinks that Antonio has a wrong idea about Britain. Mark purpose to him to visit Britain. Antonio visited Britain (Wales, Scotland and England). He wrote about his first impressions, the country, the people, the culture, the food and, of course, the weather!

Questions



Name three countries that are part of Britain





[1] Among: entre
[2] Almost: casi

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario