sábado, 12 de enero de 2019

Chapter 1 (First part) TRADITIONAL LONDON


I love visiting London. It's one of the most exciting cities in the world. There's something for everyone - a rich history, wonderful museums, great theatre, innovative music and an incredible variety of ethnic food. Recently, I visited London for the New Year with Pablo, a Spanish friend of mine. He had never been there before. At the end of our first day, we went to a pub. Like many pubs in Britain, it had a very relaxed atmosphere. There were comfortable chairs, a carpet on the floor, and lighting wasn't very bright.
Like most British pubs, it also had an enormous selection of beers, which are usually served in pint glasses. A pint is approximately half a litre. We got a couple of pints of beer and sat down to talk. Our conversation was soon interrupted by the barman.

"Sorry, gentlemen," he said.
"We're closing in twenty minutes.
Can I get you anything else?"

I ordered two more pints and promised the barman that we would finish them before closing time.

"He's joking, isn't he?
It's only 10.40!"exclaimed Pablo, as the barman went to the bar to get our pints.
"No, he isn't," I laughed.
That's what happens here."
"Then let's finish our beer quickly and find another pub that doesn't close so early," said Pablo.
"You don't understand," I explained.
"Most of the pubs in Britain close at the same time - 11.00 pm."
"Well, maybe that's the reason why British people drink so quickly!" I said.

As we walked out of the pub, I asked Pablo what his first impressions of London were.
His answer surprised me.

"I think it's a very traditional city," he said.
"The buildings, the way of life - even the time that the pubs close!"

I had never thought of that before.

He was right!
London's a very modern and cosmopolitan city, but it is also very traditional.

"Well, Pablo," I said.
"Tomorrow I'll take you for what I think is Britain’s most distinctive tradition - afternoon tea."
"But the British drink tea all the time.
Why is drinking tea in the afternoon so distinctive?"
asked Pablo.
"You'll see why tomorrow," I said.
"Trust me."

The next afternoon, I took Pablo to a good hotel in the center of London.
We sat at a table in a beautiful room enjoying the tea and the atmosphere.
Everyone in the hotel's tearoom was nicely dressed.

"Everything is so civilized!"
Pablo suddenly exclaimed.
"Yes it is, isn't it?
I replied, smiling.

The tea room was full of people sitting at tables, drinking tea and talking quietly. Many of the people were eating small cucumber sandwiches, cake and scones. Scones are a type of sweet bread that you eat with jam and cream. I don't like cream, so I ate my scone just with jam.

"It's difficult to believe that I'm in the largest capital city in Europe at the end of the twentieth century," said Pablo.
"It feels like I'm in one of those old British films!" said Pablo.

On New Year's Eve, Pablo and I went to Trafalgar Square, which is the traditional place to celebrate New Year's Eve in London. It is an enormous area quite near Big Ben, the world's most famous clock, and there were more than 20,000 people in the square.
Almost everyone was wearing funny hats and there was a very festive atmosphere. Midnight finally came and we waited to hear Big Ben’s bells announce the New Year.

The countdown began.
"Ten! Nine! Eight! ... Three! Two! ..."
Suddenly, people began shouting, "Happy New Year!"

We couldn't hear the bells because there was so much noise. A man turned round to wish us a Happy New Year and saw that we looked disappointed.

What's wrong?" he asked.
"It's New Year's Eve!
It's time to have fun!"
"I didn't hear the bells," I replied.
"I thought that people came here to listen to Big Ben's bells at midnight."
The man smiled and said, "Well, I've been here many times on New Year's Eve and I've never heard them.
There are too many people here.
You need to be nearer to Big Ben to hear the bells."
Pablo and I were completely confused.
"Then why do you come here?" asked Pablo.
The man didn't hesitate.
"Because it's tradition, mate." he said.




Summary:
In this part of the chapter, Antonio visited London for the New Year with Pablo, a Spanish friend of him. He tells us about the London pubs, especially about the close time. Antonio takes Mark for what he thinks is Britain’s most distinctive tradition - afternoon tea." London's a very modern and cosmopolitan city, but it is also very traditional. On New Year's Eve, Pablo and Mark went to Trafalgar Square, which is the traditional place to celebrate New Year's Eve in London.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario