sábado, 12 de enero de 2019

Chapter 7 (Second part) CORNWALL



I grew up reading stories and seeing films about King Arthur.

There are many stories that describe him as a virtuous king who attracted the best knights in the Christian world to serve him.
They were called Knights of the Round Table and their mission was to fight againts all the evil forces in England.
"You know that King Arthur was born in Tintagel Castle, don't you?" asked Richard. 
"No, I didn't know that," I replied.
"Actually, I've never thought about exactly where King Arthur was from.
I just thought of him as English."
"Well, he was from Cornwall," said Richard.
"The legends say that Merlin, Arthur's teacher, lived in a cave below Tintagel Castle.
When you get to Tintagel, stay at the Castle Hotel.
It's opposite the ruins of the castle.
The town is a few hundred metres away."
I did exactly what Richard had suggested.
I arrived at Tintagel just in time to see the sun going down into the sea behind the castle.
It was a romantic moment and it was suddenly very easy to believe that all the legends about King Arthur and his knights were true.
I continued my journey early the following morning.
The next few days were filled with beautiful views and the sound of the sea and the wind.
And I wrote my article sitting in small hotels, on beaches, in pubs and in tea-rooms.
As I approached Chapel Porth Beach three days later, I remembered another of Richard's stories.
"There is a famous legend here of a Giant named Boster.
He was an evil man who terrorised the people who lived here."
"What happened to him?" I asked.
"Well, he fell in love with the beautiful Saint Agnes.
She saved the people from him," he said.
"How did she do that?"
"She asked him to prove his love for her by filling a hole in the mountain at Chapel Porth.
She knew that the hole didn't have a bottom.
Giant Boster didn't know.
He cut his arm with his sword and tried to fill the hole with his blood, but he died from the loss of blood.
That's why even today, the sea at Chapel Porth is red with his blood."
I stood on a mountain looking down at the sea at Chapel Porth and discovered that Richard was right.
The sea looked red!
¡ The remaining eight days of my drive through Cornwall were full of Richard's stories.
I passed by towns like Zennor, where the local legend tells of a mermaid who hypnotised a nobleman's son.
He followed her into the sea and drowned.
I also passed Rill Point, where people first saw the Spanish Armada on its way to attack Britain.
By the end of my trip, I had finished my article, which was well received by the magazine.
I didn't win the competition, but they published my story and I have Richard to thank for telling me about the legends of Cornwall.
They made the article much more interesting.
I will always have a special place in my heart for that old man whose stories converted Cornwall into a mystical and magical land for me.


Summary:
In this part of the chapter, Antonio tell us about the King Arthur’s story. King Arthur was born in Tintagel Castle and Richard said him that he stayed at the Castle Hotel. There, he wrote his article and continued remembering the stories that Richard told him.  


Questions 7

1.Why does Gareth think Cornwall is a great place to write about?

2.Why did the time pass quickly for Antonio in the pub in Bude?

3.What do we learn about the legendary king, King Arthur?

4.How succesful was Antonio's article for the magazine?

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario