sábado, 12 de enero de 2019

Chapter 3 (First part) YORK


When you visit a place or a country alone, I think you see more.
You watch and observe things more closely because you're not distracted by the people you are with.
It can sometimes be lonely, but most of the time you experience more, meet more people and make new friends - like the weekend I was in York.
I didn't know anyone in York, but I really wanted to go there.
It's only two hours by train from London, so when Pablo went home after the New Year, I decided to go to York on my own for a weekend.
On Friday afternoon, I went on the Tube (It's the most crowded place on the planet on Friday afternoons!) to King's Cross railway station and bought my return ticket.
On the train, I got out my guidebook and found the section on York.
I wanted to read the information about this famous historical city again before I arrived.
The book said that King George VI (the father of the present Queen, Queen Elizabeth) once said that the history of York was the history of England.


The Romans were in York, as were the Saxons and the Normans, but I was going to York because the Vikings had been there.
I still had in my head the pictures from the cartoons I used to watch when I was a child.
Images of the Viking invaders, who were fierce and strong with big beards and horns on their helmets.
The real history of the Vikings was sometimes violent and terrible, but I also think that these men were brave to go to sea in their longboats more than a thousand years ago, to look for new lands and for adventure.
My guidebook said that the Vikings built the city they called 'Jorvik', or York, as it is called today.
They were in York for almost a hundred years after that, from 866 AD to 954 AD.
I found the page in my guidebook about the museums in York.
It said, 'The Jorvik Viking Centre is unique.
Archaeologists found part of the Viking town preserved in mud under the modern town.
Experts have recreated the sights, sounds and even the smells of Jorvik in 948 AD.'
The old lady sitting next to me on the train was looking at my book.
"Have you been to York before?" she asked.
"No, this is my first visit.
I'm really looking forward to it," I told her.
"Well, I think you'll like it.
I remember when I went with my daughters.
They were about fourteen and seventeen at the time.
My elder daughter was learning about York in her history classes.
We went to York Minster, the famous cathedral, climbed up to the top of the tower and then walked round city walls.
I remember that my younger daughter loved the Jorvik Viking Centre, especially the toilets!"
"What do you mean, the toilets?"
"You'll see," she smiled.
 "I don't want to ruin the surprise."


"Do you live in York now?" I asked her.
"No, I go there to visit an old school friend occasionally," she answered.
"Barbara and I have been friends since 1950.
She has a small guest house in the city centre which she has owned for the last twenty years."
"What's a guest house?" I asked.
"It's a type of hotel.
Sometimes it's called a B & B - Bed and Breakfast.
She has four rooms and cooks breakfast for the people who stay there.
Are you looking for somewhere to stay?"
"Yes, but I don't have very much money to spend," I told her.
"I think it's quite cheap!" she said.
"I'll write down the name and the telephone number and you can call here from the station."
I found a piece of paper and a pen and she wrote:
Barbara Green
The Green Guest House La Casa del Invitado Verde
31, Bewlay St.
Cork
Tel:7682135
I was lucky to meet that lady on the train.
The Green Guest House was cheap and Mrs Green was very kind.
I took a room and it was like staying with my own grandmother!
At 8 o'clock the next morning, she cooked me a traditional English breakfast of bacon, sausages, fried eggs, tomatoes, mushrooms and toast!
It was enormous, but for a cold January morning it was perfect.
It's lucky that most British people only eat this huge breakfast occasionally.
If not, they would all be really fat - and late for work!
After breakfast, she gave me a map of the city and showed me how to get to the Jorvik Viking Centre.
I decided to go there later in the morning.





Summary:
In this part of the chapter, Antonio decides to visit the city of York. On the train, he got out a guidebook. The book said that King George VI, once said that the history of York was the history of England. The Romans were in York, as were the Saxons and the Normans, but Antonio was going to York because the Vikings had been there. His guidebook said that the Vikings built the city they called 'Jorvik', or York, as it is called today. Antonio met an old lady on the train. The old lady went there to visit an old school friend," Her friend had a small guest house. "She wrote down the name and the telephone number. He took a room in the guest house and decided to go to Viking Centre next day in the morning.



No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario