sábado, 12 de enero de 2019

Chapter 7 (First part) CORNWALL



During my holiday in Wales, I saw a competition in a travel magazine.

One of the categories was to write an article about a coastal area in Europe.
I wanted to write about somewhere in Britain, so I phoned Gareth to ask him for ideas on where to go.
"You could go to Cornwall," he said.
"It's a remote area in the south-west corner of Britain.
It has a beautiful [1]coastline, a lot of small [2]seaside towns and very dramatic scenery.
It's also rich in folklore and myths.
It's a great place to write about and it will be an opportunity for you to see another part of Britain."
I was convinced.
I bought a book about Cornwall and decided to start my trip along the coast in a town called Bude.
According[3] to the description in the book, Bude was a small enchanting[4], seaside town.
I reserved a room in one of its little hotels and then at 8 o'clock I went to a pub to have some dinner.
The inside of the pub looked as if it hadn't changed for hundreds of years.
The walls were stone and all the tables and chairs were made of dark wood.
There was an empty table next to the fireplace and I sat down to enjoy a peaceful dinner.
As I was finishing my meal, an old man approached the table and asked if he could share it with me.
I looked around and saw that all the other tables were occupied.
I invited him to sit with me and soon discovered that I was very lucky to have met him.
His name was Richard and he seemed to know everything about Cornwall, its history and its myths.
"Most of the legends here are about Giants and Piskies," he began.
"Wait a minute," I interrupted.
"I know what Giants are, but what are Piskies?"
"Piskies were little old men, two centimetres tall, who were all identical," said Richard.
"They were good people who helped the old.
However, they also liked to play jokes on people."
Richard's stories were fascinating and it seemed like only fifteen minutes had passed and not three hours when the pub owner announced that it was closing time.
"It's been a pleasure talking to you tonight.
Thank you," I said to Richard, as we stood outside the pub.
Thank you for listening to an old man's stories," he replied.
Richard smiled, shook my hand and walked away.
Although I never saw him again, Richard and his stories accompanied me throughout the rest of my trip through Conrwall.
I remembered one of the stories when I arrived in Poundstock the following day.
"There's an old church in a little village called Poundstock," Richard had told me.
"In the 14th century, a man called William Penfold was the priest of the church.
Although he was a priest, he was also a member of a group of pirates that attacked ships leaving the area.
Eventually, William Penfold had a fight with the rest of the pirates and left the group."
"Is that the end of the story?" I asked.
"No. A short time later, the pirates interrupted a Mass that William Penfold was giving in his church.
They brutally murdered him on the altar."
"What a horrible story!" I exclaimed.
"It's so violent!"
"There's more," continued Richard.
"People say that his ghost still haunts the church."
Words can't describe what I felt as I walked through the empty church remembering Richard's story.
It was very quiet and cold in the church and it was easy to imagine Penfold's screams as he was being murdered.
It was good to go outside again, into the warm sun.
I sat down next to the car and looked at my map.
I decided that the next day I would go to Tingagel Castle, home of the legendary King Arthur.

Summary:
In this part of the chapter, Antonio tell us how he saw a competition about a coastal area in Europe in a travel magazine  and decided to write an article about Cornwall, a remote area in the south-west corner of Britain.
"It's decided to start his trip along the coast in a town called Bude. There he knew an old man, Richard who seemed to know everything about Cornwall, its history and its myths.





[1] Coastline=litoral
[2] seaside towns= pueblos costeros
[3] According= Según
[4] According= encantador

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario