sábado, 12 de enero de 2019

Chapter 4 (Second part) OXFORD


On my way back to Lisa's flat. I passed a sign marking the place where the original tavern of the massacre had been to think any more about the Scholastica Massacre.
But when I got to Lisa's flat, I didn't have much time to think any more about the Scholastica Massacre.
We had to get ready for one of Oxford's more pleasant traditions, the May Ball and May Morning.
This medieval tradition celebrates the arrival of spring.
The May Balls are very elegant dances where the men wear dinner suits, called "black tie", and the women wear formal dresses.
I really enjoyed the Ball.
There was plenty of good food and champagne and I spent most of the night dancing with lots of different people.
By 4.00 am, I was tired.
I went and found Lisa, who was talking to some of her friends.
"I'm a little tired," I said.
"How do you feel?
Do you want to go home soon?"
"I'm quite tired too," she answered.
"But we've got to stay until the Ball ends.
We have to see the sunrise."
"Why?"
"Because it's tradition, silly," she replied.
Just before sunrise, the Ball ended and everyone walked together to Magdalen Bridge.
A large crowd of people was already there.
At 6.00 am, a boys' choir appeared at the top of the college tower and began to sing madrigals to the people standing on the bridge.
It was one of those moments that you never forget for the rest of your life.
The beautiful singing of the choir complemented the beautiful sunrise that we saw.
It was magical.
The sun, big and red, was rising on the horizon and illuminating the sky with a wide variety of colours - yellow, orange, red, blue, violet.
Suddenly, a couple of people from the Ball jumped from the bridge into the river.
"Are they mad?" I asked.
"They're jumping into the river in their expensive clothes!"
"No, they're not mad," Lisa answered.
"That's the tradition.
Come on!"
She smiled at me and jumped into the river.
I didn't hesitate and jumped in after her.
Within minutes, most of the people who had been on the bridge were in the river.
Everyone was laughing, screaming and singing.
"Do you want a drink?"
I heard someone next to me say.
I turned round in the water and saw a young man in a dinner suit offering me a bottle of champagne.
"You didn't jump off the bridge with that bottle, did you?"I asked.
"You must be crazy, champagne's very expensive!"
Of course I did," he replied.
"It only happens once a year.
Do you want a drink?
I laughed and took the bottle.
Then I saw that there were a lot of people in the river with bottles of champagne in their hands!
British people never stop surprising me.
Afterwards, everyone changed into dry clothes and went into the city center.
All the restaurants and pubs are given special permission to open early on that day.
There were many acrobats performing in the street and Oxford was one big carnival.
I finally went to sleep at 1.00 pm!
Lisa and I separated soon after my visit to Oxford.
However, the best memories of my relationship with her are the ones that I have from my visit to this lovely old town.


Summary:
In this part of the chapter, Antonio tells us about the traditions, the May Ball and May Morning. "May Balls are very elegant dances where the men wear dinner suits.” When the Ball ended people went to see the sunrise. After that everyone walked together to Magdalen Bridge. People from the Ball jumped from the bridge into the river in their expensive clothes. Everyone was laughing, screaming , singing and drinking champagne.


Questions 4
  1. What is special about Oxford University?
  2. Why was Antonio disappointed when he arrived in Oxford?
  3. What effect has the Scholastica Massacre had on the life of Oxford?
  4. What unusual tradition is there in Oxford on May Morning, after the May Ball?


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario