sábado, 12 de enero de 2019

Chapter 1 (Second part) TRADITIONAL LONDON


One of London's greatest traditions is producing some of the best theatre in the world. I don't think a visit to London is complete without going to the theatre. There are 52 theatres in the West End, London's theatre. I try to go to the theatre at least once when I visit London. My most memorable theatrical experience in London was two years ago and it wasn't in the West End. It was in an area called Southwark (pronounced Suthar) on the south bank of the River Thames, at the Globe Theatre. The original Globe Theatre was where most of Shakespeare's plays were performed for the first time. It was built in 1599 but unfortunately, burned down in the middle of the 17th century and was destroyed again 30 years later. The new Globe Theatre was finished a few years ago, only 300 years later! I had a fantastic time at the Globe. I had studied Shakespeare at university and was excited about seeing one of his plays in the theatre where they were originally performed.
The Globe has the shape of an "O" and plays are only performed during the warm months from May until mid-September because there isn't a roof over the center of the building.
If it rains, you get wet - and it rains a lot in London!
I went in August and it rained both before and after the performance, but fortunately not during! The theatre has seats for 1000 people and another 500 people can stand in the of the "O". The people who stand are called "groundlings". I bought a "groundling" ticket for the afternoon performance. Nearly every had an umbrella with them and the ground was wet and muddy from the rain. I was quite cold at the start of the play, but soon forgot about it because I [1]was having a great time. The actors made some of their entrances and exits by pushing through the audience. I almost fell into the mud when one of the actors pushed me as he was exiting. Luckily, a young man behind me caught me.
I took advantage of a five-minutes break between acts to thank him.
His name was Mike and he was a lighting designer from a theatre in the West End.

"This is incredible," I said.

"Except for the fact that everyone is wearing modern clothes, I feel like [2]I'm back in the early 1600S."

"Said, there are a few other differences," said Mike.

"Really? What are they?" I asked.

"Well, one difference is that today women play the female roles," Mike explained.

"Women weren't allowed to be actresses in Shakespeare's time.
The female roles were played by teenage boys."
"Yes, I know.
I must admit that I prefer seeing real women on stage!" I said.
"So do I, mate," agreed Mike.
"What are some of the other differences?"
"Probably the biggest difference between Shakespeare's time and now is that the 'ground lings' then ate, drank and talked during the performance."
"But then they'd be too distracted to watch the play, wouldn't they?"
"Believe me, they paid attention," Mike assured me.
"[3]As a matter of fact, if they didn't like an actor's performance, they shouted at him and even threw food at him!"
"[4]It's a pity that modern audiences are much more polite.
It would be fun to feel like a real "ground ling" from Shakespeare's time," I said with a laugh.
Listen, I've come to the Globe many times," said Mike.
"The audiences are more polite, but I've seen some strange things happen here."
Before I could ask him to give me some examples, the next act began and we both started to watch the performance.
"Of course," I answered.
"Then look to your right."


I casually looked to my right and was completely surprised by what I saw. There was a girl standing a few metres away from me feeding a small dog she had under her arm! It was definitely the first and only time I've seen a dog in the audience at the theatre! Mike and I went for a coffee together after the performance. He told me that he could get me free tickets to the theatre whenever I visited London. He's a good person to know!

Summary:
One of London's greatest traditions is producing some of the best theatre in the world. In this part of the chapter, Antonio tells us that his most memorable theatrical experience in London was two years ago and it was in an area called Southwark. He describes the theater and curiosities and anecdotes that he lived that night there. (in the theater)

Questions
  1. What did Pablo think was crazy about British pubs?
  2. Why do people go to Trafalgar Square on New Year's Eve and what exactly do they want to hear? 
  3. Why is the Globe Theatre famous?
  4. Why are plays only performed in the Globe Theatre during the warm summer months?
  5. In Shakespeare's time, who played the female roles in his plays and why?










[1] Have a great time            Divertirse mucho
[2] Be back in the early         Estar de vuelta a principios de
[3] As a matter of fact          De hecho
[4] It's a pity                             Es una lástima

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario