sábado, 12 de enero de 2019

Chapter 6 (Second part) CARDIFF


We went down to the coast south of Cardiff for a weekend, and Angharad tried to teach me to windsurf.

She was not only very cultured, but she also loved watersports.

There were lots of people in the bay who were experts, and it was fantastic to watch them race across the bay, jumping the waves.
Angharad was a very good windsurfer.
However, I had never tried to windsurf before and I must admit that I found it very difficult, especially in the cold sea!
I picked up the sail and fell backwards into the water.
Then I picked up the sail and fell on top of it.
I think I spent twenty-nine minutes out of thirty falling off the surfboard.
I'm sure that I drank litre of water.
All the time, Angharad was very patient and she tried very hard not to laugh at me!
Eventually, I decided to stay on the beach and watch her.
It was much safer - and drier!
Apart from my disastrous attempt at windsurfing, we had a lovely weekend.
I preferred walking along the beaches; I could stay warm and dry and talk to Angharad.
The most enjoyable day of our time together wasn't on the coast.
It was my last day in Wales and the day that Angharad took me to the Royal National Eisteddfod.
It's the largest popular festival of competitive music-making and poetry-writing in Europe and it takes place every August for eight days.
I was very impressed by the magnitude of the event.
There were 6.000 competitors and over 150.000 spectators - and no one was speaking English.

Everything was in Welsh!
I had heard Welsh people love singing and that they have wonderful voices, and it was true.

There were some children singing in the Eisteddfod who were only about 12 years old and they had incredible voices.

I didn't understand the words of the poems and songs, because they were in Welsh, but it wasn't important.
I could hear so much emotion that I could imagine the meaning of what I heard.
There were a lot of very, very talented people participating in the event and it was a wonderful way to spend my last day in Wales.

I felt very lucky to have been to an Eisteddfod.

There was real pride in the Welsh language and the tradition of poetry and song and I enjoyed sharing this special occasion.


Summary:
In this part of the chapter, Angharad and Antonio went down to the coast south of Cardiff for a weekend, and Angharad tried to teach him to windsurf.
The last day in Wales, Angharad took him to the Royal National Eisteddfod.
It's the largest popular festival of competitive music-making and poetry-writing in Europe.


Questions 6


1.How long has Antonio known Gareth and how did they get to know each other?

2.What did Castle Coch look like?

3.Why does Gareth tell Antonio to give Angharad a lovespoon?


4.What three things impressed Antonio at the Eisteddfod?

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario