sábado, 12 de enero de 2019

Chapter 6 (First part) CARDIFF


One Sunday morning, two years ago, I was at home in Madrid reading the paper in bed.
As usual, I had started to read the travel section first because I love reading about different countries.
I was imagining life on a small island in the Caribbean when the phone rang.

"Hello?"
"Antonio! Hi, it's Gareth."
"Gareth! How are you?"
"I'm fine, thanks," he said.
"How are you?"
I've known Gareth since I was a child.

Our fathers were university friends and our families always spent our holidays together in Almería.
Gareth comes from a very old Welsh family and lives in Cardiff.
Although Wales was a country I had always wanted to visit, I still hadn't managed to go there.

"Listen, I'm calling you to tell you that you must come to Wales at the end of July.
This time, you have no excuse," Gareth said.
"Why?" I asked.
"Because I'm getting married!" Gareth replied.
"Congratulations!" I said.
"I'll be there.
I can't miss your wedding."

I was excited about finally going to Wales.
The only thing that I knew about the country was that a language called Welsh, a completely different language from English, was spoken there.
In this sense, it reminded me of the different parts of Spain, which all have their own languages as well.
The wedding invitation said that the ceremony and the reception would be held at a place called Castle Coch, five miles north of Cardiff.
I wasn't prepared for what I saw when I arrived there.
It was a fairy-tale castle like the ones you see in Disney films!
The interior looked like Cinderella's castle.
During the reception, I took advantage of a moment when Gareth was alone to ask him about the castle.

"This place is incredible!" I exclaimed.
"Can you tell me a little about it?"
"Sorry, I don't know much about it either," he answered.
"But I know someone who can answer all your questions.
Wait here.
I'll be back in a minute."

He came back a minute later with the most beautiful woman I had ever seen.
Él regresó un minuto después con la mujer más bonita que yo había visto alguna vez.

"This is my cousin, Angharad (pronounce "Anjarad")," he said.
"She's studying for her Master's degree in Welsh culture and history."

Angharad had long red hair, pale skin, big blue eyes and an angelic face.
When she smiled at me, my heart melted.
I was in love!
Angharad started to tell us about the castle.
"It was built between 1875 and 1879 on the foundations of a thirteenth-century castle by a local nobleman and his architect.
" They wanted to build a fantasy medieval castle ..."

I wanted to listen to her all evening, but another woman arrived and interrupted Angharad's explanation.
"Angharad, the bridge is waiting to have a photograph taken with you," said the woman.
Angharad excused herself and promised that she would return in a minute.
I turned to Gareth.
"Why didn't you introduce me to your cousin before?" I asked.
"Because you've never come to Wales before!" he replied.
"You're absolutely right," I said.
"I must see her again.
Has she got ...?
"... a boyfriend?" interrumpted Gareth.
"No, she hasn't."
"Do you think that I can convince her to have dinner with me?" I asked.
"I don't know. You'll have to ask her and find out," said Gareth. "However, I can show you something that will impress her when you ask.
Do you see those spoons? "Gareth pointed to a table in the middle of the room that was covered with food and wine.
The table was decorated with hand-painted wooden spoons.
"Those, spoons are called `lovespoons´, Gareth explained.
"There's an old Welsh custom in which a young man gives a lovespoon to the girl he likes as a symbol of his affection for her.
“Give one to my cousin before you ask her to have dinner with you."
Angharad returned and Gareth excused himself to talk to some other guests, leaving me alone with his beautiful cousin.
British people can be so discreet!
As Angharad continued talking about the castle, I slowly walked with her towards the table.
I put my hand behind me and picked up a lovespoon.
I gave her the spoon and asked her if she would like to have dinner with me.
She was so surprised and impressed by my offer of the lovespoon that she immediately agreed to meet me the following evening.
That was the beginning of a lovely romance between the two of us.
We were together during the rest of my two-week stay in Wales and she was the perfect guide to show me the country.


Summary:
In this part of the chapter, Gareth, a Welsh friend of his called him because he was getting married. He will know a place called Castle Coch and the Gareth cousin, Angharad. He will be in love. That will be the beginning of a lovely romance between the two of them.




No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario