sábado, 12 de enero de 2019

Chapter 3 (Second part) YORK


I bought my ticket at the door and then Vikings (actors, of course!) took a group of us down the stairs into their town.
We walked down, deep under the ground, to the level of York's streets as they had been in 948 AD, before they were buried under all the layers of the next 1000 years.
We travelled down a corridor, past models of people from the 1960s.
Next, we saw models of soldiers from the Second World War in 1939-1945 and then the First World War in 1914-1918.
After that, we saw models of people from the 1800s, the 1600s ... further and further into the past.
Finally, we arrived at Copperagate Market in October, 948 AD.
There were the old streets and scenes with models, and there was a soundtrack of people shouting, laughing and talking.
Our little train stopped and we watched the animals, the people in the market and the children playing.
There was even a strange smell.
I can't describe it ... it was ... different, a smell from another time.
After the market, we went down a hill and past a river, where there was a boat and two fishermen.
The fishermen were sitting on the bank next to their boat and they were telling a little Viking boy about their adventures.
He was sitting on the ground and was clearly fascinated by their stories.
"I tell you, Toki, we've had a rough sea for the last few days.
Ivar nearly drowned!" said one of the fishermen who was holding a net.
"That's not true! I was only trying to see the fish in the water," said the other fisherman, laughing.
"There was Ivar, with his head under the water.
" We pulled him into the boat by his boots!" exclaimed the first man.
"Did I tell you about the time ..:?"

Our train continued on its journey.
We stopped outside a house where a Viking family was making dinner.
There were herbs drying above the fire and animal skins and furs on the bed.
Chickens were running around the house and you could smell the food.
You could also smell the toilet!
So this was what the old lady on the train was talking about.
There was a toilet - with the original seat - behind the house, with pieces of old clothes next to it, for toilet paper.
There was even a model of an old man on the toilet!
The visit was incredible because it wasn't just old things in a museum, it was the recreation of a real town.
The characters had Viking names like Eric Bloodaxe and Ivar the Boneless.
With the sounds and the smells, I felt I really was in a Viking town.
There should be more exhibitions like that - learning history would be much more interesting.
When I left the Jorvik Viking Centre, it was a lonely sunny day.
It was cold, but the sky was blue and I decided to go for a walk around the city.
The weather in Britain is generally so bad that when there's a nice day, you really appreciate it!
There were lots of people in the streets.
The people who lived in York were walking quickly.
The tourist (like me) were walking slowly, looking at the old city walls and the buildings and sometimes stopping on corners to look at their maps.
On one corner, someone stopped me.
"Excuse me," he said, "could you tell me the way to York Minster?"
I laughed and explained to him that I was also visiting York, but that I had a map if he wanted to look.
"Are you here on holiday?" I asked him.
"Yeah, I'm from Chicago and I came to Britain for Christmas to see my cousin.
She's working in London at the moment," he said.
"Where are you from?"
"I'm from Madrid.
I'm Spanish, but my father's American," I answered.
"He's from New York."
"Nice to meet you.
"I'm Antonio, pleased to meet you."
We looked at the map together and I decided to go with him to see York Minster.
York Minster is the biggest Gothic cathedral in Europe and is very impressive.
It took more than 250 years to build and was finished in 1480.
The windows have stained glass - coloured glass that tells a story.
The most famous window is at the east end of the cathedral and tells the story of the beginning and end of the world.
We climbed up to the top of the central tower and we could see the whole of York.
The city centre is quite compact and is still enclosed by the old walls, like Ávila in Spain.
I got my guidebook out and we both looked at the map and tried to name the places we could see below us.
It was fun spending time with John.
He was so surprised and impressed by everything he saw.
It was his first trip to Britain and he wanted to see and do everything.
Everywhere we went, he wanted to know if there were ghosts!
We visited the Castle Museum and the guide told us that at night, people sometimes hear the ghosts of former prisoners, crying and pulling their chains across the stone floors.
John wanted to stay the night in the castle and listen to the ghosts!
Fortunately, I persuaded him that his hotel room would be much more comfortable!
The next day we decided to take the same train to London.On the train, we exchanged e-mail addresses and we still write from time to time.
He says I must go and visit him in Chicago when I go to the States.
"In Chicago we've got gansters, not ghosts!" he laughed, "but they're just as frightening!"


Summary:
In this part of the chapter, The visit was incredible because it wasn't just old things in a museum, it was the recreation of a real town. The characters had Viking names like Eric Bloodaxe and Ivar the Boneless.
With the sounds and the smells, I felt I really was in a Viking town.


Questions 3

  1. Who built the city of York and what was it originally called?
  2. What is a guest house or B & B?
  3. What period of time is covered at the Jorvik Viking Centre?
  4. What do we learn about the most famous stained glass window in York Minster?
  5. What might you hear at night in the Castle Museum?




No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario