sábado, 12 de enero de 2019

Chapter 9 (First part) EDIMBURGH

Edinburgh, the capital of Scotland, is one of the most beautiful cities in Europe.
Dominated by a medieval castle on a volcanic rock, it has a fascinating history and there is a lot to see.
It's the home of one of the best summer festivals in the world, the Edinburgh Festival.
It's also the home of a very old friend of mine called Martin.
Martin and I met at my school in Spain.
We were both 14 years old and my family had recently returned to Spain from the United States.
My English was better than my Spanish, so I had problems at school that year.
Sometimes I didn't understand what the teacher was saying or what I was supposed to do.
I also felt isolated because I didn't know about the same things as my classmates.
I had different clothes and I liked different music.
People were friendly, but I wasn't happy.
After Easter, my school had an exchange with a school from Edinburgh.
Some pupils in my class didn't know what country Edinburgh was in, so our teacher showed us on the map.
"Here's Edinburgh, on the east coast of Scotland," she said, pointing.
"It's the capital of Scotland and the country's biggest tourist city.
After London, more people visit Edinburgh than anywhere else in Britain."
Twenty Scottish pupils came to our school for three weeks and stayed with our families.
I was the only person who could speak English and Spanish.
Suddenly, everyone needed me to translate and help them so that they could talk to each other.
By the end of the three weeks, I felt I had a lot of new friends, both Spanish and Scottish.
Martin was the most popular person in his class.
He was funny, intelligent and very good at sport - and he was staying in my house!
We soon discovered that we had a lot in common and we became good friends.
"It's been great having you here," I told Martin on his last day.
"I like my school and Spain more now, because you've helped me to make new friends."
"Thanks," he said.
"I've had a fantastic time.
You've shown me your city and you've taught me Spanish.
One day, I want you to come to Edinburgh to visit me and I'll show you my city.
Come in summer, it's the best time."
"I'll definitely visit you.
That's a promise!" I told him.
I was finally here.
Six years later, in the middle of August, I got off the train at Edinburgh's Waverley Station and there was Martin!
When he saw me walking down the platform, he shouted so loudly that everyone stopped and turned round!"

"Antonio! Hey Antonio!
It's so good to see you!"

He took me to his flat, which he shared with two friends, and told me all about the plans he had for my visit.

"It's wonderful that you're here for the Festival.
I love Edinburgh all year, but during the Festival it's crazy!
There's so much happening all day and all night.
I hope you got lots of sleep before you came because we've got a lot to do and a lot to see.
I know you're going to enjoy this city."
"So, what are our plans?" I asked.
"Well, I thought we could go and visit the castle this afternoon and go for a walk around the Old Town, the oldest part of Edinburgh, which is the area where I live.
Then, tonight we can go and see a show at the Festival," he began.
"Which show?" I interrupted.
"There are a lot of shows that have good reviews[1].
The local newspapers have a special section for the Festival and the Fringe ..."
"What's the Fringe?" I asked.
"OK," he said, "I'll start at the beginning.
But you must be hungry.
I'll tell you about the Fringe while we have lunch."

We had lunch with Paul and Alison, Martin's two flatmates.
While we were eating, they told me more about the Festival.
It started in 1947 and every year, there is an official programme of classical music, opera, theatre and comedy.
The Festival Fringe started the same year and is basically another unofficial festival that happens outside - on the `fringe´ of - the main festival.

"There are lots of free performances[2] every night and hundreds more that you pay to go and see.
You can pay anything from £ 1 upwards.
You'll see what the Festival is as soon as we go outside," said Martin.
"It's difficult to describe the Festival in words," added Alison.
"you have to live it.
The atmosphere is like one big party, and everyone in Edinburgh is invited."

Martin and his friends live in the Old Town, which is like a labyrinth with its narrow streets.
We walked slowly up the High Street (also called the Royal Mile) past the beautiful Saint Giles Cathedral.

This is the road that goes to Edinburgh Castle.
The streets were busy and among the tourists and people shopping, there were clowns, mime artist, actors in costume and musicians playing alone and in groups.
The city was alive and full of colour and everywhere I looked, some fun thing was happening.

"This is great!" I exclaimed.
Just then, someone put a leaflet[3] in my hand.
"What's this?"
I asked, looking at the piece of paper.

During the day, actors advertise their show for the evening.
By the time [4]we arrive at the castle, you'll have at least 10 leaflets!" Martin promised me.

He was right.
I had 12 pieces of paper in my hand when we arrived at the castle, and all the shows looked interesting.

"Choosing one show is going to be a problem," I said to Martin.
"Don't worry, I've got a few ideas!" he laughed.
Summary:
In this part of the chapter, Antonio visits his friend Martin’s house in Edimburgh. He tells us 
how they met and also things about the Edinburgh festival and “the Fringe”.





[1] Reviews= críticas
[2] Performances= actuaciones
[3] Leaflet= folleto
[4] By the time= para el momento, para cuando

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario