sábado, 12 de enero de 2019

Chapter 2 COSMOPOLITAN LONDON


London's ethnic diversity makes it a very special city. People from almost every part of the world live here. This was obvious to Pablo and me when we took the Tube from the airport to the centre of the city. People of every nationality were traveling on the train and it was nice to see that everyone seemed accustomed to the great variety of races and religions in this city. We were fascinated by an orthodox Muslim woman who was sitting opposite us. Only her eyes were uncovered and we couldn't stop looking at her because it was the first time that we had seen a woman dressed this way. No one else paid any attention to her. If you're a person who likes eating different types of food, London is the place to go. I've eaten food from many parts of the world here and most of it has been excellent. Indian food is especially popular. When arrived back at our hotel on the afternoon of our second day in London, I asked the lady at reception to recommend a few good restaurants in the area. She said that there was a very good Indian restaurant close to the hotel. Pablo shook his head.


"No, I want to eat something that's typically British," he said.
The lady laughed.
"You don't understand," she said.
"Indian food is typically British."
"Oh, I see," replied Pablo.
When we got into the lift, he looked at me and said, surprised, "Perhaps London isn't as traditional as I thought."


I laughed and decided to take him to places that showed London's ethnic diversity, like Chinatown. London's Chinatown is in the middle of the theatre district and it feels wonderful to cross a street and enter a completely different culture.

There are lots of excellent Chinese restaurants there, as well as many Asian supermarkets. We specially liked walking through the Chinese fruit markets.

"Look at this!" exclaimed Pablo.
"Look at what?" I asked.
"This fruit," he said.
"I've never seen most of this fruit before.
It's so exotic."
"There are lots of exotic things in London, if you know where to look," I told him.
"Like what?" Pablo asked.
"Well, London has a Caribbean carnival.
It's a huge annual carnival and it takes place on the last weekend in August, in an area of London called Notting Hill.
My friend Mike took me to the carnival a couple of weeks after I met him at the Globe,"I explained”.
"That sounds interesting”.
“What happens during the carnival?" asked Pablo.

"Well, Notting Hill has a big West Indian population and thousands of people go to the carnival to eat West Indian food and dance to Caribbean music."
Mike and I walked through the streets and there were people of all cultures celebrating together.
At one point, I closed my eyes and it felt like I was in the Caribbean instead of London!
“I was surrounded by West Indian accents, music and smells."
"It sounds fantastic!" exclaimed Pablo.
"It was..oh, and I remember another interesting thing that happened that afternoon," I told him.
"What was that?" he asked.
"Well, from the carnival, we went to Mike's flat in one of London's famous black taxis.
After a few minutes, the driver began talking to us.
He was speaking English but I couldn't understand him!
“He was using Cockney rhyming slang!"
"What's that?" Pablo interrupted.
"Luckily, Mike explained it to me”.
He told me that the driver was a Cockney and Cockneys are traditionally from the East End of London.
They have a very strange way of talking, called Cockney rhyming slang.
For example, "When my friend called me on the [ dog and bone ] (phone) last night, I ran down the [ apples and pears ] (stairs) to answer it."
"That's incredible!" exclaimed Pablo.
London's full of surprises!"

Summary:
London's ethnic diversity makes it a very special city. Everyone seems accustomed to the great variety of races and religions in this city. If you're a person who likes eating different types of food, London is the place to go. Antonio decided to take Pablo to places that showed London's ethnic diversity, like Chinatown (a completely different culture). There are lots of exotic things in London, for example a Caribbean carnival. People go to the carnival to eat West Indian food and dance to Caribbean music. Finally, Antonio talks about Cockney, a London slang.


Questions
  1. Why is travelling on the Tube in London interesting?
  2. What do people do at the Notting Hill Carnival?
  3. What is a Cockney?









No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario