sábado, 12 de enero de 2019

Chapter 5 (Second part) A COUNTRY CHRISTMAS


After dinner, we all went to Midnight Mass in the village church, just like people do in Spain.

I sat next to Nicola's mother, Judy.

"There are a lot of people here tonight," she whispered to me.

"Normally, on Sundays, there are only thirty or forty people in church but it's tradition to come to Midnight Mass.
Many people come who don't normally go to church."
"This is wonderful," I whispered to her.
"Thank you for inviting me to spend Christmas with you."
"It's our pleasure," she said.
"We're very happy that you're here.
It's lovely to see you enjoying yourself so much."
I was enjoying myself because it was different and because everything was new for me, but also because Nicola, her parents and Claire made me feel like part of their family.
I felt very lucky and when we stood up to sing Oh Come, All Ye Faithful, a traditional British Christmas carol, I sang with everyone else.
I had a big smile on my face.
That night, Father Christmas came to the house and left presents for everyone.
Obviously, it wasn't really Father Christmas, but Nicola, Claire and their parents continued the tradition they had had when the girls were children.
"Most families leave stockings for Father Christmas, but we always have pillow cases.
We're lucky - our Father Christmas is very generous!" Nicola told me.
"When we were young, we used to leave mince pies - the traditional Christmas pastries - for Father Christmas next to the fireplace.

He could come down the chimney and have something to eat before he left our presents for us," explained Claire.
"One year, Claire left a carrot in the garden for the reindeer," laughed Nicola, "and in the morning there was only half a carrot!"
"Hmmm.
I don't normally eat carrots at one o'clock in the morning," said their father, "but Christmas is a special occasion!"
On Christmas morning, when I got up and opened the curtains, the whole world outside was white.
It was snowing!
"After we've opened our presents, we'll go for a walk," Nicola told me at breakfast.
"But it's still snowing, we'll get wet," I protested.
"I know, but it will be fun!"
We all sat around the Christmas tree and opened the little presents from Father Christmas.
He had left some traditional English mustard for me, made with beer!
Then, the family exchanged their presents with each other.
And they hadn't forgotten me - Nicola's parents gave me a bottle of Scotch whisky and Nicola gave me a book about Shakespeare.
And then, as Nicola had promised, we all went for a walk in the snow.
"We have to get some exercise before we have the turkey!" Judy told me.
We walked across the fields and through a wood to the next village and then home again.
We got cold and wet, but we all had great fun in the snow.
After dinner time, when we sat down, there were things called Christmas crackers on every plate.
These crackers are cylindrical in shape and made of different-coloured paper.
Two people have to hold each end of a cracker and pull.
The cracker opens with a "Bang!" and inside there is a coloured paper hat, a joke written on a piece of paper and a small present.
We all ate dinner wearing red, blue and green hats.
At first, I felt silly, but then I realised that it was part of the tradition of Christmas.
And our traditional Christmas dinner was exactly what I had hoped it would be.
We had turkey and lots of potatoes and vegetables, good red wine (from Rioja!) and then for dessert we had Christmas Pudding, the traditional Christmas dessert made with raisins and almonds.
Delicious!
That night, I told the Caswell family that for me, this had been a very memorable Christmas.
"We like Christmas to be special," said Hugh.
"For Judy and myself. The religious side is important, but the opportunity to celebrate as a family is more important." 
"I like coming home and having a day when we all enjoy being together.
And I like the fact Christmas is the same every year," added Claire.
"I like the tradition," said Nicola.
Exactly, the tradition.
It was a Christmas that I will never forget.

Summary:
In this part of the chapter, Antonio tells us that after dinner, they all went to Midnight Mass. That night, Father Christmas came to the house and left presents for everyone. After they opened their presents, they walked across the fields and through a wood to the next village and then home again. After dinner time, when they sat down, there were things called Christmas crackers on every plate. The cracker opens with a "Bang!" and inside there is a coloured paper hat, a joke written on a piece of paper and a small present. They all ate dinner wearing red, blue and green hats.Iit was part of the tradition of Christmas.


Questions 5


1.Give three reasons why Antonio was happy that Nicola had invited him her parents' house for Christmas.

2. Why did Antonio enjoy himself on Christmas Eve?

3. When do the British have Christmas dinner and what is the traditional menu?

4. When did Antonio receive his Christmas presents and what were they?

5. How do you open a Christmas cracker, and what is inside it?

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario