sábado, 12 de enero de 2019

Chapter 5 (First part) A COUNTRY CHRISTMAS


In the United States, when I was young, the same films were on television every Christmas.
One film was my favourite and watched it every year.
It was called Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and it was about a beautiful, old car that could fly and took the owner to a magic land.
The story was great, but what I really wanted was that car.
Fifteen years later - last Christmas Eve - and my dream had come true!
I was driving (well, I was in the passenger seat) through the English countryside in a 1925 Bentley, a beautiful English car.
It wasn't the same car, but it reminded me of my favorite film and I felt like a child again.
I was wearing a leather hat, a leather jacket and goggles.
It was very, very cold and the sky was grey, but I was the happiest man on earth.

One of my friends from university, Nicola Caswell, who is English, had invited me home to her parents' house for Christmas.
My parents were in the States and I hadn't made any plans for Christmas.
She told me her family liked celebrating the festive period "properly" and would be happy to show me an English Christmas.
"But I don't want you to be bored," she told me.
"Bored?
How could I be bored?" I replied.
"I've never spent Christmas in England before and I would love to go to your parents' house."
"My parents live in a little village in the country, a long way from the nearest town, which is called Stamford.
It's a beautiful little town and there are lots of old houses and churches, but it's not very exciting."
"I'd love to go and spend Christmas with your family.
" You've told me so much about them.
I'll have a wonderful time, I know I will," I insisted.
Nicola had told me about her family, but she hadn't told me about her father's old Bentley - it didn't occur to her that I would be interested.
She had grown up with it and for her, it wasn't important.
But going for a drive in the Bentley was the best Christmas present I'd had for many years.
We drove through narrow country roads to a village where the members of the Bentley Drivers Club were having a Christmas reunion.
We were the first people to arrive and we parked outside the pub, next to the village green, an oval area of grass in the middle of the village.
There was a duck [1]pond and old stone houses and suddenly, there were three more Bentleys coming down the road towards us.
"Look, Nicola!" I cried.
"Yes, I know.
What would you like to drink?"
How could she be so calm?
This was all so exciting!
"Quick, take a photo of me in the car," I said and gave her my camera.
You're funny!" she said, as she took my photo.
"You're like a little boy!"
"I don't care!
I'm having a great time - and you were worried that I'd be bored!"
I spent the next hour outside with Hugh Caswell, Nicola's father, talking to the owners of the Bentleys and looking at the cars and their engines.
Then, when we were all so cold that we couldn't talk, we went inside the pub, sat next to a big fire and drank a pint of good British beer.
It was like so many films I had seen about England, but this was real!
It was dinner time on Christmas Eve, but something was wrong.
Where were the roast turkey, the roast potatoes and the vegetables, the traditional food for a British Christmas?
We had a nice meal, but I was disappointed because Nicola had told me that her family celebrated Christmas "properly".
While we were having coffee, I whispered to Nicola, "Listen.
I don't want to be impolite, but doesn't your family like turkey?"
"What do you mean?"
She looked surprised.
"Why didn't we have turkey for dinner?"
Nicola started to laugh and then she explained that in England, they eat the traditional meal on Christmas Day, not on Christmas Eve like we do in Spain.
I felt so stupid!
I had forgotten that that was what we used to do when we lived in the United States.
Of course Nicola told her parents and her sister, Claire, and they all throught it was very funny.
"Don't worry," Claire said, "we've got a turkey for tomorrow and it's enormous!"
Summary:
In this part of the chapter, Antonio tells us how one of his friends from university had invited him home to her parents' house for Christmas. She told him her family liked celebrating the festive period "properly" and would be happy to show him an English Christmas. She hadn't told him about her father's old Bentley – “it didn't occur to her that I would be interested”. He went to a village where the members of the Bentley Drivers Club were having a Christmas reunion. Finally, it was dinner time on Christmas Eve, but something was wrong. Where were the roast turkey, the roast potatoes and the vegetables, the traditional food for a British Christmas? She explained that in England, they eat the traditional meal on Christmas Day, not on Christmas Eve.







[1] Pond= estanque

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario