sábado, 12 de enero de 2019

Chapter 10 (Second part) MORE OF SCOTLAND



That afternoon, we drove through the Grampian Mountains.

It was still raining, but I didn't mind.
The scenery was beautiful.
In between the mountains there were wide open spaces and it was all so green.
The hills seemed endless.
We stopped and camped that evening outside a little village.
It sounds crazy to camp in the rain, but it was wonderful.
We had bought some tins[1] of food and some bread and wine and we sat in the tent and cooked on a little camper stove[2].
Then we played cards.
Eventually, the rain stopped and we could see the sun through the clouds as it disappeared behind the mountains.
It was truly[3] beautiful.
"Tomorrow, we'll go and find Nessie!" said Martin.
"Nessie, the Loch Ness Monster?" I asked.
"Yes. There will be a lot of people at Loch Ness, but you can't leave Scotland without going to its most famous lake."
"So is “loch” the Scottish word for lake?" I asked.
"That's right.
There are lots of lakes in Scotland but Loch Ness is the biggest.
It's 39 kilometres long and the deepest part is 229 metres deep.
There's a lot of loch for Nessie to hide[4] in!"
That night I dreamed about monsters.
I woke up to the sound of rain.
I looked at my watch; it was 6.00 am.
By 6.30 AM the rain had stopped and I opened the tent.
The sun was rising and there was white mist[5] on the ground.
I put on my jumper and my boots and went outside.
I walked up to the top of a hill and looked down into the valley.
Everything looked very mysterious, quiet and calm.
There was complete silence except for the birds.
"It's perfect!" I thought.
I stood there and watched as the sun came up.
When the mist had evaporated, I saw the sun reflected on the water of a loch below me.
It was a very special moment.
When we got to Inverness, Martin turned right.
I was looking at the map.
"Martin, we should have turned left to go to Loch Ness," I told him.
"I know, but I want you to see something special first," he said.
"My parents live in a village not far from here.

Near the village there's a castle.
It's a beautiful place and it has an interesting history.
The legend is that in 1454, the Lord of Cawdor wanted to build a new castle.
He filled[6] a bag with gold to pay for the castle, put the bag of gold on a horse and said he would build the castle at the place where the horse stopped.
It stopped under a tree, so he built the castle around the tree.
You can still see the tree in the cellar[7]."
We stopped near the castle and got out of the car.

"I usually spend New Year's Eve at my parents' home," said Martin.
"When I do, I always visit the castle.
It's a special place, isn't it?"
"Yes, it is," I agreed.
"By the way[8], how do you and your family celebrate New Year's Eve?"

"Well, we usually have a big party with lots of people and then at midnight, we listen to the bells of Big Ben on the radio," Matin answered.
"After the bells, we stand in a circle, hold hands and sing a traditional Scottish song called Auld Lang Syne."
He sang some of the song to me and I realised that I knew it!
We used to sing it in America at New Year as well.
"Does everybody kiss after that and say 'Happy New Year'?" I asked him.
"Of course! I think people kiss each other at New Year in most Countries!" Martin exclaimed.
"But you know, New Year's Eve is a very important celebration in Scotland and is called Hogmanay[9].
And the traditional way of celebrating Hogmanay is very interesting.
The tradition is that people stay at home until after midnight and the first person to come into your house after that must be a man with dark hair."

“Why?” I interrupted.

"Because that's the tradition, I don't know the reason!" Martin answered.
"The man must also bring a piece of coal, so that the house will always be warm, a bag of salt, so that the family will always have something to eat and a bottle of whisky, so that the family always have something to drink.
Anyway[10], my parents have an old friend who loves this tradition.
He's a dark-haired man and after midnight, he always comes to my parents' house with these three presents.
Of course, all the whisky is drunk that night!"

"And then what happens?" I asked.
"Well, then we continued with the party, like everywhere in the world at New Year!" Martin laughed.
"But the tradition of Hogmanay makes Scotland unique.
I like that," told him.
We went Loch Ness and I took photos of a big, empty lake.
About 80 other tourist were doing the same thing!
A man called Hugh Gray took the first photo of Nessie in 1933 and several people since then have said that they saw `her´.
Un hombre llamó Hugh Gray tomó la primera fotografía de Nessie desde entonces en 1933 y varias personas han dicho que ellos `la´ vieron.
I don't know if there really is a monster in the Loch, but I like the legend.
Yo no sé si hay realmente un monstruo en el Lago, pero me gusta la leyenda.

I think it's important that we keep our legends and myths about where we live.

They're part of our history.


Unfortunately, I didn't have time to see much more on that visit.
It is a little difficult to see the whole of Scotland in three days!

Next time, I want to go all the way up to John O' Groats, Scotland's most northern point, and then take the ferry to the Orkney Islands.
Even if it's raining!


Summary:
In this part of the chapter, Martin and Antonio camp near of Loch Ness. Martin tells Antonio the legend 
of Lord Cawdor and his castle, also the traditional way to celebrate New Year and  Hogmanay in Scotland.
Finally they see Loch Ness.





[1] Tins= latas
[2] camper stove= hornillo de campista
[3] Truly= verdaderamente
[4] Hide= esconderse
[5] Mist= niebla
[6] Filled= llenar
[7] Cellar= sótano
[8] By the way= a propósito
[9] Hogmanay= Nochevieja
[10] Anyway= en cualquier caso


Questions 10

1.What are the Highland Games?
2.What it tartan and what is made from it?
3.What is Nessie?
4.According to tradition, what three presents must be brought to someone's house at Hogmanay, and why?

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario