lunes, 29 de abril de 2019

Tema 2 C (GRAMMAR)


Time sequencers

  • We use time sequencers to say when or in what order things happen.
  • We use when as a time sequencer and also to join two actions.


Then, after that
The most common way of linking consecutive actions is with then or after that, but NOT with after, e.g. I got up and got dressed. Then/ After that I made a cup of coffee. NOT After I made a cup of coffee.

On our first date we went to the cinema. After that we started meeting every day.
On Thursday I had an argument with my boss. Next day I decided to look for a new job.
We sat down to eat. Two minutes later the phone rang.
When I came out of the club he was waiting for me.
The accident happened when I was crossing the road.

Connectors: because, so, but, although

Because and so
Use because to express a reason

Use so express a result
She was driving fast because she was in a hurry.
She was in a hurry, so she was driving fast. (result)

But and although
Use but and although to show a contrast
Although can go at the beginning or in the middle of a sentence.
She tried to stop the car, but she hit the man.
Although she tried to stop the car, she hit the man.
She was very tired, but she couldn’t sleep.
She couldn’t sleep, although she was very tired.






No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario